Purana


I alighted from the train and went outside to find an Ola Taxi. It was extremely crowded, and I felt like I was in a different city than I had on previous visits. I am not a frequent traveller to Delhi but have visited 6-7 times only. From the taxi, I was observing and trying to ascertain the difference between today and my earlier visits. I then realised it was a purana Delhi. I saw so many cycle rickshaws for passengers and luggage, goods carriers, auto rickshaws, etc. unorganised at road sides; labourers and owners dealing with raw materials, traffic jams, etc. Then I was thinking about purana Ahmedabad. Purana Ahmedabad has almost the same situation.







Purana Delhi, Purana Ahmedabad or the old habitat of any big city, which anyone can differentiate easily as they all look more or less the same. Dealing with raw materials, labour work, and small businesses, etc. are all carried out in Purana city only. I am sure big businesses in big cities must be dependent on this labour work and small businesses only, and they made it naya and purana in which purana has the fate of suffering from hardship and having to do arduous, laborious work.

It was a harsh, hot summer season. Even in the morning, we started feeling the heat, dispirited and drained. In this condition, these people are doing drudgery each and every day. I will call it drudgery only because it is menial and laborious work that they are doing. I was watching it and thinking how unlucky they are that in this harsh summer they have to do this kind of work.

But at the same time, I am very sure that they must be thinking how lucky they are that at least they have got some work to do from which they can earn some money and can eat in the evening...





Comments

  1. The title itself draws the images. I differ with the authors view as hardship existed all around and accepted the fact that old strong guys built these cities workable & moving. With there efforts in the dark corridors of the cities the main roads are glittering. Once again a soothing reading. Keep writing and keep publishing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who taught her?

Participation in real meaning…

Quaint Students, Quaint Teachers